Wednesday 3 December 2008

The Daily Mail reads Advenures in Consumerland

Today The Daily Mail reported the high cost of tinned food - after I emailed my recent blog to their consumer affairs editor. Their report failed to identify exactly why the price of Sainsbury's Basic Tinned Chopped tomatoes has increased from 21p in September to 33p.
Encouraged by the Daily Mail's interest in my price monitoring I emailed my previous post - Tesco Relentless Price Rises - not Peanuts, to Tesco's Chief Executive Terry Leahy.

"Dear Mr Leahy, I have sent you a link to my blog Adventures in Consumerland. I welcome Tesco's comment on the recent excessive price rise of your Value range of Roasted Salted Peanuts. A price hike from 20p to 37p isn't really peanuts is it?"

I've received a standard holding reply, let's see what explanation Tesco has. Yesterday Tesco reported it's lowest quarterly growth figures (2%) for a decade. Commentators are noting that value seeking customers are turning to Asda and Morrisons as well as the German discounters Aldi and Lidl.

No comments: